What is a VE103B?

VE103B Certificates


Since our blog post on “taking your lease car abroad” – We’ve had quite a few enquiries on what a VE103B is and if it’s required to take their lease car abroad.

So we’ve written this article to answer a few questions on what a VE103B is and if you need to get one.

What is a VE103B?

It is a legal requirement that any car or van traveling in mainland Europe must carry the registration document, this is also known as the V5C.

On many lease cars, car subscriptions and short-term car leases, the legal owner will be the finance company or the supplier and they will be reluctant to send out the original V5C document.

In its place, the lease provider will supply you with a VE103B – Vehicle on Hire Certificate. The details of this state on the vehicle, its legal owner and the drivers who have permission to use the vehicle.

Not all of our vehicles are allowed to go outside of the United Kingdom and our underwriters/suppliers will look at each scenario on a case-by-case basis.

How do I order a VE103B?

Depending who your leasing provider is, the VE103B can be ordered via the customer service telephone line provided by the leasing company.

If its a Cocoon Vehicles supplied vehicle, we have a simple VE103B online form that you can complete and we will arrange for the documentation to be sent across. Please Note. As standard we do not allow your short-term car lease or car subscription vehicle to be taken abroad, please contact our team for more information.

What happens if I get stopped without a VE103B?

If you get stopped, whilst traveling abroad and you do not hold a VE103B then depending on the country and their law enforcement you may face a fine or even worse, the vehicle could be impounded.

Without the on-hire certificate, the costs could spiral with costs relating to storage fees, recovery fees and personal fines.

Which countries require an on-hire certificate?

Here is a list of countries that currently require you to have a valid VE103B on-hire certificate:

EU Countries/Member States:
– Austria
– Belgium
– Bulgaria
– Croatia
– Republic of Cyprus
– Czech Republic
– Denmark
– Estonia
– Finland
– France
– Germany
– Greece
– Hungary
– Iceland
– Republic of Ireland
– Italy
– Latvia
– Liechtenstein
– Lithuania
– Luxembourg
– Malta
– Netherlands
– Norway
– Poland
– Portugal
– Romania
– Slovakia
– Slovenia
– Spain
– Sweden

Other countries that require a VE103B:
– Albania
– Andorra
– Belarus
– Bosnia and Herzegovina
– Gibraltar
– Guernsey
– Isle of Man
– Jersey
– Macedonia
– Moldova
– Montenegro
– Norway
– Russian Federation
– Serbia
– Switzerland
– Turkey
– Ukraine

Can I take a photocopy or fax copy of the VE103B?

No, it’s not acceptable to take a photocopy or a fax version of the VE103B. The original document must be carried with you at all times.

If you don’t carry the original VE103B, then the car may be impounded or you could receive a large fine.

How much does a VE103B cost?

Costs vary depending on your leasing company when it comes to issuing you with a VE103B.

Give your leasing provider a call to find out the costs involved.

What insurance do I need to provide?

Depending on the level of cover, you may be required by your car insurers to request a green card to show that you have insurance covering your destination. Most will require fully comprehensive insurance abroad.

It is also important to adhere to the contract on your short-term car and ensure that your vehicle is covered under a fully comprehensive policy whilst abroad.

More Information

If you need more information on obtaining a VE103B from Cocoon Vehicles, please call the team on 01332 290173 or complete the ONLINE FORM below.

Useful Links

Rebecca joined the Cocoon Vehicles team in 2018 after running and selling a successful financial services business offering pension, investments and mortgages. Today, Rebeccas goal is to provide the best possible customer service along with news that you will want to read.

Latest Price Reductions
Latest Reductions on a great range of our most popular flexible car subscriptions. Only whilst stocks last. Sign up today and we'll deliver to your door.

Table of Contents

Snow covered car with a COCOON stick on the rear
Keep Mobile in the Snow
Yellow Audi R8 parked on driveway
What should you do if someone blocks your drive?
Photo of Elizabeth Tower (Big Ben) in Lon
ULEZ Compliant Car Subscriptions
Date Archives
Chris Gadd | BMW X3

“Excellent company. Fabulous service. Special mention to Rebecca Adams for so seamlessly moving me from one vehicle to the next.” Christopher GaddBMW X3 / Flexible

Read Review »
See Our In-Stock Vehicles
Over 200 Physical Stock vehicles ready-to-go on our flexible subscription program.

Get In Touch

Complete the form below and a member of the team will come back to you during office hours.

Latest Flexible Car Lease Deals

Affordable and Flexible month-to-month car leases for you or your business

Short-Term Car Leases

6-12 Month Short-Term Car Leases on a fantastic range of brand new cars.

Short-Term Van Leases

We offer a range of Commercial Vehicles on our 6-12 month leases.

Search for a car...