Cocoon Vehicles Ltd

Taking your lease car abroad?

Driving Abroad

With more and more people wanting to avoid flying, the alternative seems to be utilising the Eurotunnel and Ferries with travel to France, Belgium, Netherlands and Spain.

But before you go, its important you’ve got everything in-place before you take your lease car off the UK mainland.

What is a VE103B?

It is a legal requirement when travelling into mainland Europe that you carry a V5C (Registration certificate) issued by the DVLA, however, when you have a rental or a lease vehicle, the main keeper is the finance house or suppliers.

This is where the VE103B come into effect. A VE103B is a “Vehicle on Hire Certificate” – It is produced by the DVLA and contains details of the hirer and the details of the vehicle.

There is usually a cost involved for the leasing or hire company to produce a VE103B, this will be documented within your contract or rental agreement.

Country Requirements

It’s compulsory in some countries to carry certain safety equipment in your vehicle, if you don’t you could be faced with a fine or even worse, the car could be impounded.

It’s always best to check on the AA website, the equipment required and don’t forget to take into account the countries you might have to drive through.

Essential Equipment for Any Country

What about if the vehicle breaks down abroad?

Another really useful add on when taking your car abroad is European Breakdown assistance. Many of the manufacturers include breakdown assistance, however, the coverage does not extend to Europe.

RAC and the AA offer European breakdown cover at a reasonable cost. Click the highlighted links for more information.

Stay right!

Most European countries drive on the right-hand side of the road so negotiating roundabouts or overtaking my take some additional thinking.

Take it slow and think about every move, read the roadsigns and the road markings.


Most European countries use KPH (Kilometres per Hour) when displaying speed limits. A lot of modern cars allow you to change the speedometer from MPH to KPH, some cars show KPH longside MPH.

If you’re not sure then we will soon be offering a downloadable inforgraphic on common speedlimits and their MPH equivilents. Bookmark this page to find out more.

Show that the vehicle comes from the UK

Most number plates have the GB euro symbol displayed on the number plates. For those that don’t, pick up a magnetic GB badge or sticker off Amazon or from Motorway Services.

It is compulsory to show that your vehicle is from the UK.

More Information

If you’re in a Cocoon Vehicles car either on a car lease or a short-term car lease and you’ve got additional questions, please do not hesitate in getting in touch with the team on 01332 290173 or complete the ONLINE FORM below.

Driving Abroad Checklist

Use our easy to follow checklist below before you head abroad with your lease car:

Air-Bridges / Travel Corridor

If the country you are visiting isn’t listed on the Governments website as having an Air Corridor, upon your return to the UK, you may be required to quarantine for 14 days.

Find out more: Air Bridges

Exit mobile version