When you hear the words ‘penalty points’, speeding probably is the first thing that comes to mind but did you know that there are other less obvious ways that you could easily wrack up points? Check out the tips below to keep your driving licence clean!
- Don’t Eat & Drive! Eating and drinking (yes, including that morning drive through coffee you pick up each day) whilst you’re driving is against the law. Under ‘due care and attention’ anything that could distract you whilst driving is considered a no-no and could attracts you anything from 3 to 9 points!
- Careful of Puddles! At this time of year, the amount of standing water on our roads increases and so does the risk of innocently wetting somebody through on the pavement. Splashing pedestrians falls under section three of the Road Traffic Act 1988, which states that motorists are committing an offence by driving “without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road”.
- Don’t Drive Like Miss Daisy! Speeding is obviously reckless and dangerous but driving too slow can be just as bad. Drivers driving well below the speed limit cause many accidents each year and if you’re caught you could face penalty points.
- Give Consideration to Horses! Horses are entitled to be on the roads just as much as cars are and the Highway Code states that should you need to pass a horse, then you should give the horse as much room when passing as you would another vehicle. Should you be involved in an accident involving a horse, you could be prosecuted for driving without due care and attention which would land you with between 3 and 9 points and a fine of up to £5,000 dependent upon how serious the accident was.
- Be Warned of Warning others! We’ve all done it, passed a speed camera and then flashed the headlights to ensure other drivers are aware on an oncoming speed trap. Well if you’re caught, you could find yourself being prosecuted. The same applies for flashing to let others out of junctions etc.
Ok, so there you have it! Cocoon Vehicles are always trying to keep you safe on the roads but we also have great deals on leasing cars and vans too! Why not get in touch and find out just how good our deals are? Call 01332 290173 or complete the form below and we’ll be in touch as soon as we can.